Toothpicks: a Pointed Problem
What’s long, slender, hard, sharp, indigestible and potentially hazardous? That common and seemingly harmless sliver of wood called a toothpick. Reports in the Journal of the American Medical Association point to toothpicks as causing thousands of injuries a year, mostly to young children. Youngsters aged five to 14 were most likely to be injured by toothpicks, and children under the age of five were 20 times more likely to seriously injure their eyes or ears.
Adults should also treat the toothpick with a little respect. Three deaths have been attributed to toothpicks after the people either swallowed or inhaled them by accident.
Toothpicks may be small, but their potential dangers are definite points to ponder. If you have a troublesome piece of food stuck between your teeth, a much safer option to consider is to simply grab your toothbrush!
Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!
Dr. Moran was born and raised in San Jose, California where she lived with her mom, dad, and three younger sisters. After graduating from Santa Teresa High School she attended San Diego State University, where she graduated Summa Cum Laude. After completing her studies at San Diego State, she returned to the Bay Area to attend the prestigious University of the Pacific, Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry in San Francisco, California. In her spare time, Dr. Moran enjoys being outdoors: gardening, wakeboarding, camping, being at the beach, and running are just a few of Dr. Moran’s favorite outdoor activities. In addition, Dr. Moran loves spending time with her family which includes her dog and turtle. Dr. Moran is proud to be a member of the American Dental Association, California Dental Association, Monterey Bay Dental Society, and the Santa Clara County Dental Society.